Embracing Foggy Horizons

Down ere in Cornwall we got a bit caught out by this "Heatwave". We didn't actually get any of the 25 Degree sunshine predicted for the rest of the UK, which sucked big time! Instead, we were graced with a good 3 or 4 days worth of fog!


Whenever there is a sudden rise in temperature, Cornwall will usually shy away from the glorious sunshine and hide under a delightful foggy mass of cloud leaving the rest of us inhabitants despairing and planning trips further North just for a glimpse of this rarity that is a heatwave!

The kind of fog that graces the Cornish coastlines is apparently known as Advection Fog; which is when warm air moves in over a cooler land surface. The land then cools the warm air below the dew point and thus forms fog. I wasn't completely sure how it happened so I thought i'd throw that bit of knowledge out there, but just so you know the cooling of the warm air ends up looking a little bit like this...

Anyway, as a result of the high pressure, the waves were seriously lacking and the sunshine was pretty much non-existent due to the fog attempting to ruin all our fun! But alas, we decided we weren't going to let it stop us from having a good time! We took the fog as the perfect excuse to have ourselves a cheeky early beach morning all to ourselves, as no one else was thinking of heading to the beaches, we ended up having a few super fun mornings working on our surf fitness.

With no surf I didn't want to lose all my paddle power I had accumulated over the past 2 weeks, so myself and Clare headed down to the shore for a hardcore beach workout. I decided to focus on all aspects of fitness with the aim of returning to the water in a few days feeling fit and ready for whatever the ocean wanted to throw at us. I started every workout with a solid bit of cardio before getting down to the nitty-gritty core, arms, legs and a bit of butt work, just to get those flutes activated and that tush a little bit perkier!

The beach was ours to enjoy, with no one else sharing the same ideas as us, so we cracked on and let loose! Starting with a cheeky little shimmy along the shoreline...

I love being able to exercise in the outdoors, the beach was our open air gym and the fresh ocean air invigorated and inspired us throughout our routine! I decided not to bring any dumbbells or gym equipment with me, instead using the natural tools around us. I used varying weights of rocks for Russian Twists, Sit Ups and Twisted Lunges. The sand also proved as a cushiony landing for our Plyometric exercises.

I get a completely different feeling when I exercise on the beach, a complete feeling of satisfaction and elation; especially as I know that once I have suitably worked up a sweat I can strip down to my swimsuit and jump in the cooling *numbing* Atlantic waters!

As part of the warm down, I incorporated some of the yoga asanas we had been working on previously. At first we tumbled all over the place finding it hard to keep a straight face, never mind a straight line...







Going...
Going...
GONE!
but eventually we managed to get it right... an incredible feeling! From Crow Pose to Headstands we practiced until our arms and legs turned to jelly and the only cure was to jump in the water!




 Both Clare and I stripped to our bikinis and waded into the cold water to relieve our aching muscles with smiles spanning from ear to ear.



Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home
PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig