A Winter Escape // Journey To The Mountains

This was the first time in... 12 years (YIKES!) that I had been skiing.

Since moving to Cornwall the idea of escaping the Cornish winter to umm, colder climes, just hasn't really appealed to me that much. The thought of basking in tropical sunshine, frolicking in warm water and surfing clean, reeling waves appealed to my senses so much more.



Our housemates Sam and Hazel had booked to go on a ski trip to Les Arcs in February with a group of friends. It sounded incredible, a private log cabin, up in a beautiful secluded mountain village, all meals prepared for you and free lifts to the slopes every day. Along with a sauna for apres-ski and unlimited amounts of French wine and delicious food! Looking back now, I really can't understand why I didn't make my mind up about going any sooner. I suppose it might've been the fact that I was holding out for the possibility of going somewhere hot and somewhere cheap, but as the date drew closer, Matty and I couldn't help but realise this was an opportunity not to miss out on.

We finally booked our flights with a month to go until the departure date, reserved our spaces in the chalet along with Sam and Hazel and their mates. The next few weeks flew by as I tried to get together enough thermals, ski suits, gloves, goggles and helmets to keep me warm and toasty for a week on the slopes.

We set off early in the morning from Cornwall ready for the long journey ahead. Firstly, the 5 hour drive to Birmingham, then the 2 hour or so flight to Geneva, then the 2/3 hour drive from Geneva Airport to Les Arcs. It was fair to say that when we arrived at the chalet gone 12am, we were all absolutely knackered. However, this didn't stop the excitement coursing through my veins as we pulled up at the little town of Nancroix. I had forgotten how beautiful France is, with its stunning log cabins and narrow side alleyways and laced with a light frosting of the white stuff. Even in the darkness I could tell this was a stunning place.

As soon as I stepped into the chalet I knew this was going to be an incredible week! The fire was lit and roaring away in the lounge upstairs and the loveliest of chalet hosts had prepared a delicious little dinner for us after our long, wearisome journey. We sat and plumped ourselves down and warmed our cockles with some of their tasty soup. The conversation soon dwindled as we all realised how tired we actually were.

It suddenly dawned on us how early we had to be up the next morning to get our skis, boots and all the gear from the hire so we all departed to our cosy little rooms for the night/rest of the early morning, to try catch up on some much needed sleep. and to be prepared for  the next day's events! As soon as mine and Matty's heads hit the pillow we were well and truly gone! Preparing and building energy for the day ahead filled with all sorts of new adventures and views like these...





Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home
PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig